Re: Comment: Defining N-ary relations, use of cardinality

Natasha Noy wrote:
>> A small remark: for the diagnosis relation example I would expect to
>> have a cardinality restriction on the diagnosis_value and the
>> diagnosis_probability set to one (there must be a diagnosis, after
>> all...). I do not think that the the fact of defining this as a
>> functional property covers that (functional means that there must be
>> at most one value, right?) You use the cardinality restriction in the
>> 'buyer' relation later. Regardless on how one interprets this very
>> example, I think the usage of cardinality is very important in n-ary
>> relations in general, so it might be more 'didactic' to use it imho.
>

> Yes, you are right. We tried to be reasonably careful about this, but
> apparently not completely. Indeed, making something a functional
> property sets the max cardinality to 1, but doesn't require a value.
> Setting cardinality for diagnosis_value to 1 would make a lot of sense.
> I am not sure  though if diagnosis_probability should require a value.
> What if we don't know the probability?

Fair enough (although, personally I would be scared if my doctor could
not tell me anything on that;-)

>> Also, in this example, I would expect the diagnosis probability
>> relation to be a datatype property rather than an object property,
>> with an xml schema datatype of an interval between 0 and 1. After all,
>> this is what probability is... (at least as an alternative example to
>> the 'literal' type object property you seem to use right now)
>

> I think in this example probability really is a qualitative measure,
> rather than a quantitative  one. I think we talk about someone with high
> probability of breast cancer, rather than about someone with probability
> of breast cancer at 0.85 Besides, OWL doesn't have a good way of
> defining property ranges, and we'll leave that to a different TF note to
> discuss. It's probably not very relevant for this particular note (We
> struggled quite a bit to isolate all the related thorny issues)

I agree for this particular note. But it would be nice if the SWBPD
would come out with a note where datatype properties are used, possibly
with some restrictions. The specs are pretty scarce on that subject...

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Head of Offices