Re: WNET: first draft of note in WG web space

McBride, Brian wrote:
> With Aldo's permission, I've placed a strawman document [1] in task force
> web space as a starting point for an editor's draft.  There is very little
> there at the moment, mostly an outline of the structure.  Not really worth
> reading yet.
>
> Brian
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/WNET/wordnet-sw-20040713.html

Brian,

Nice document. Very readable also. Just a few remarks:

1.

[[
... words are represented by resources of type wn:Word. The properties
wn:hasWordForm and wn:hasLanguage relate a word to its word form and
language respectively.
]]

We probably should document why we decide to adopt this instead of using
rdfs:label with a language tag. Even in a pure "as-is" approach one
might one to use such RDF constructs.

2.

[[
A wn:WordSense resource can be thought of as representing a (word sense,
synset) pair.
]]

I assume you mean "*word*-synset pair". wn:WordSense is (in old ER
terms) a "weak entity", i.e. its existence depends on other entities. It
is linked to precisely one wn:Word and precisely one wn:Synset, right?

3.

[[
A word sense, which is sense number N in the synset with identifier $$
is named by $WNBASE/sense/$$/N#
]]

The schema in the document does not talk about a sense number. In the
RDF file I see:

[[
<rdf:Property rdf:ID="tagCount"> <!--Brian: added -->
     <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#WordSense"/>
     <rdfs:range  rdf:resource="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger"/>
   </rdf:Property>
]]

Am I correct in assuming this represents the sense number? Can it be a zero?

4 [silly]

I guess most nonnative speakers will not know the verb "to dog".

Guus

Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/