Re: [OEP] Ontological purity, was "Classes as values" first draft + ODP basics $swbpd

On Apr 23, 2004, at 6:20 PM, Uschold, Michael F wrote:
> I agree with the spirit of this, with the following proviso.   Some
> may find if of passing interest what ontological purists think, but
> most I expect won't care unless there is some specific advantage.  We
> might just stick to the impacts of different decisions and not mention
> the notion of ontological purity at all, or perhaps just footnote that
> one approach or another is the one preferred by 'ontological purists'
> for those that might be interested.

In theory, I agree with you. In practice, let's just take it on a case
by case basis and see what we want to say when we encounter this
discrepancy (which we probably will, but I don't think we have just
yet). In practice, we may often find out that the purist's solution
makes a lot of sense. But again, this discussion would be more grounded
if we had a specific problem.

Natasha