RE: How does RDF/OWL formalism relate to meanings?

[snip of lots of good stuff]

> Software knows zilch and is dumb as dirt,
> so instead we have to actually convey the needed 'shared common
> knowledge' or whatever you call it in the form of explicit
> ontologies. Fortunately the global 'open' structure of the Web at
> least holds out the hope of a system of mutually used ontologies (and
> hence agreed-on, in effect, though its the mutual use that really
> matters)  providing this kind of shared background understanding of
> meanings.

Mutual use or agreed-on, it must surely happen prior to the successful
exchange and interpretation of my message.  But how can I be sure that
my terms will be interpreted according to the ontology they were
created with?  I certainly don't want any triples, with truth
values attached, attributed to me, if the URIs are going to be
interpreted according to a different ontology than the one I used to
code my message.  I would say that in critical cases, I would insist
on, that is, stipulate, that the ontology used to interpret my triples,
be the same one I used form them.

John