RE: How does RDF/OWL formalism relate to meanings?

If you are saying that the Resource and my meaning are equivalent, and
thus that the URI stands for my meaning, this would make sense.  Otherwise,
this doesn't work.  I want my URIs to stand for what I intend to mean by
them. But even so, I also want to know how the intelligent agents that
receive the URIs in my RDF messages will correctly interpret my URIs
and understand what I intended to signify by them.  How do I do that?

[snip]

> I would say at this point that it would help if you
> came up with a small concrete example that could be a focal point for
> more discussion, one that highlights why you have questions and more
> about their nature.  The kind of responses you are seeking probably
> depend on just what you really want to accomplish.

[snip]

I have written large systems in Prolog.  I have written parsers,
a forward chaining production rules system, and I implemented
a prototype of Conceptual Graphs, a system with many similarities to
RDF.  And I implemented a prototype of an "agent" that ran
continuously on computers in a network, waiting to receive messages,
and then react to patterns in the message combined with data in a
blackboard about the current state of the machine, by firing rules that
caused actions, sent messages, and changed the state of the machine as
recorded on the blackboard.  So I do know a little about some of this
stuff.  And I have no illusions about the 'intelligence' of these programs
or of their 'understanding' of the data copied back and forth, in spite
of some of the neat things they could do.

But in my systems, both the sender and the receiver of all the data
sent back and forth had the same parsers, and thus could interpret
correctly any message sent or received.  To speak loosely with the
same freedom about 'meaning' that Pat claims for himself, dangerous
though it may be, each node understood the meaning of messages from
the other nodes because I wrote the code for each node.

Now we are implementing a system that does not have that condition.
It is created by vast numbers of different people from around the
world. And we are planning to have lots of nodes on this wide network
share documents with each other.  And we want to let these machines
process these documents in 'meaning preserving' ways.  This gives rise
to certain questions about how those machines can preserve the
that meaning.  Questions like these:

"Is a given inference engine expected to take into account a given
document under given circumstances?"
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#rdfURIMeaning-39

and proposals like this:
"-  the architecture is that a single meaning is given to each URI (such
as P), that the URI ownership system makes statements by owners
authoritative weight, despite what other documents may say.
- the architecture does not permit the meaning of a URI to be changes
by consistent misuse by others.
- that use of a URI in RDF implies a commitment to its ontology, and if
there is doubt as to what ontology that is, the web may be used to
resolve it."
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jul/0022.html

That have been hotly debated on this list.

I have thought a lot about this and came up with a specific proposal
in answer to some of these questions.  Namely that we work out how
make this an optional facility, so that an author of some RDF can
stipulate that in this case, this RDF will not make sense unless
it is used in conjunction with exactly these ontologies.  And I offered
as an example the history of RFC 2119, a natural language document
that has been used in very similar way for many years, as a model.
In my opinion, part of what was wrong with the infamous Section 4.0,
sensibly removed, was that it proposed that these restrictions
apply to *every* URI/RDF document/ontology.  What is new in my
proposal is that this could be made explicit and optional.

John Black