RE: in defense of standards

From: Bijan Parsia [mailto:bparsia@isr.umd.edu]
> Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 10:43 PM
> To: Sandro Hawke
>
> On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 10:18 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
> > and you're still going to build an open systems, I think you're
> > just arguing for an undocumented protocol.
>
> Or evolved ones. Or these aren't "protocols" in the networky sense.

Ok.  I'm willing to join the bands of the freedom-loving-formalists,
but I have some questions.  Please forgive me here, I am clearly the
least experienced person on this list, but I don't know where you are
getting this dispute protocol from.  I don't remember reading anything
in the proposed standards about rdf:dispute or owl:disagreement.  Is
there such a thing?  I would like to be able to use your dispute protocol
and to program my agents to use it.  How best to do this? What is the
proper protocol for publishing a dispute in RDF?  I used to work with
ACH, the Automated Clearing House system for interbank transfers.  They
had a dispute protocol, very well worked out, with several layers of
automated resolution procedures before kicking the problem out for human
intervention.  Where in the current standards is our dispute protocol
spelled out?

What I see is that some internally consistent RDF is put on one web site.
Some more internally consistent RDF is put out on another web site.  Now
if I load them both, I get an RDF graph that is inconsistent.  How does
this become a dispute?  rather than nothing?  or garbage?

For that matter, how do I know what was asserted? in order to know
what to dispute?  How do I program my sw-agent to distinguish between
some RDF that is put on a web site as a test?  or as a prototype?  versus
the RDF that really matters.  How can I tell when some RDF is published
as a comment, and when it is a claim?

Could this be the protocol0, the naive protocol that Sandro and Tim
are saying is missing?  Then even as a freedom loving formalist, who would
rather die than have my freedom of sw-speech curtailed, I would also have
to say, I don't see any harm in coming up with such a protocol0, sort of
a "Quick Start Guide to Saying Things in RDF", that explained at the very
least, how to put some RDF on my web site and make it known that - "I mean
this.  This is something I'm asserting.  This is something that is
disputable."

John Black
http://kashori.com