RE: Thought experiments on a proposed solution

Tag issue rdfURIMeaning-39.

> Im not aware of any problem that needs
> to be solved here.
>
> >  We create a specification for the Semantic Web
> >Conformity Relation (SWCR), a binary relation where each
> >tuple contains one element from the set of all URIs and one
> >element from the set of all classes defined in any ontology.
>
> Well, there's a problem right there. Most classes
> don't have definitions, and most ontologies don't
> define anything.

Ok.  Let's replace "defined" with "mentioned".

> When are people going to get this straight??
> Almost all the words we use in English and almost
> all the URIs we use in RDF/OWL *do not have* and
> *do not need* definitions. All this trying to
> lock down unique meanings in registries is a
> COMPLETE FANTASY, like trying to capture a bowl
> of mist or pin a label onto a breeze. Give UP on
> it, for goodness sake.  Even if we were to set up
> some such world-wide registry, after unbelievable
> effort, it would be immediately ignored by
> everyone, and quite correctly so, since it would
> not provide any actual utility to anyone that
> they can't get just by using the Web in the way
> that people are already using it.  We would do
> better to spend our time doing fantasy gaming: it
> would use up about as much time and have about as
> much connection with the actual world, but be a
> lot more fun.
>
> Pat Hayes

I am not proposing any such registry, so these arguments
are as specious as they are caustic.  As I say below,
this relation is virtual, it would have a similar status to
"...a network-spanning information space consisting of
resources, which are interconnected by links defined within
that space."

I can also delete any mention of the word "meaning" from the
proposal without harm.  It is simply a virtual association
between two keys.

Use of this protocol would be optional, there is no suggestion
of locking down anything or limiting anyone in any way.

I believe there would be enough utility to drive its voluntary
use.  It is simply a summary of ways for everyone to agree on
how to link URIs up with metadata that mentions those URIs.
But it does so in a minimalist manner, giving it maximum
versatility.  It would enable every user of URIs to personalize
the metadata configuration on every web page they publish.  To
do so lets people express themselves better.  People are driven
to be understood. That is the utility.