Re: Chromatic fonts - implementation roundup [via SVG glyphs for OpenType Community Group]

On 2016-08-15 21:09, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 7:10 AM, W3C Community Development Team
> <team-community-process@w3.org <mailto:team-community-process@w3.org>>
> wrote:
>

>     ... undocumented but
>     reverse-engineered Apple sbix colored raster format.
>

> Apple's format has been documented for a year or two now:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/fonts/TrueType-Reference-Manual/RM06/Chap6sbix.html

Thanks, I updated the post.

>     (This is in addition to the
>     existing COLR/CPAL support that has been there since Windows 8.1).
>
>     Amusingly, this means that Edge 14 has better support for the
>     Google-originated
>     CBDT fonts than Google Chrome itself has, due to a bug in the
>     Chrome OpenType
>     sanitizer which rejects CBDT fonts for not having a glyf table.
>     This means that
>     Chrome will currently only display CBDT fonts that are installed,
>     not ones
>     loaded by @font-face.
>

> We definitely fixed OTS.  Do you have more info?

Check https://pixelambacht.nl/chromacheck/ in Chrome - CBDT is not
supported. I understand this is because OTS rejects the font as not
having a glyf table (or having a zero-length one). The bug I linked to
in the post is

https://github.com/khaledhosny/ots/issues/52

> I believe CBDT webfonts work on Chrome Linux, ChromeOS, and Chrome
> Android.

I haven't yet tried on those platforms.

--
Chris Lilley