RE: SVG Text elements within glyphs

Hello CG,

On Monday, January 27, 2014 2:37 PM I wrote:

> Considering that the main purpose of using SVG is to offer rich
> graphics design capabilities for font developers to describe glyphs as
> units of text display - would it make sense to disallow the use of
> textual elements as part of the SVG glyph description?

Now that CSS and SVG F2F meetings are over and folks are back to their regular daily routines, I would like to bring this question up again for discussion. I heard one opinion supporting this idea but I would like us to spend a bit more time (but not too long) to discuss this.
My primary concern is that it seems counter-intuitive to allow font data, which is intended to be used a resource to visualize text content, utilize textual content to be used as a fill for rendering the glyphs. Considering that the "SVG in OpenType" was proposed to become part of the generic font format standard usable in different environments and different applications both as a web font as well as a local font - even a hypothetical possibility to enter the endless loop of a font referencing itself to render the text content is unsettling.

So, I am once again asking the question - are there any objections to disallow the use of textual elements as part of the SVG glyph descriptions? Chris, Sairus - what's your take on this?

Thank you,
Vlad