Re: Treating IVS on SVG in OpenType

Hi, onynx,

Thanks for bringing Unicode's "emoji style" variation selectors to our attention.

Using an example from http://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/StandardizedVariants.html:

a. U+231A = WATCH
b. U+231A U+FE0E = WATCH text style
c. U+231A U+FE0F = WATCH emoji style

Say for example the CFF glyph ID for U+231A WATCH in a font is x, and there is also an SVG glyph description for glyph ID x in the font.

Whether to render the CFF or the SVG description for x should depend on factors outside of the font, e.g.:
1. Whether the U+FE0E (text style => CFF) or U+FE0F (emoji style => SVG) variation selector is present in the text stream
2. And/or whether there is other style markup to indicate a similar distinction.

It should probably not be a part of the OpenType spec proper to mandate which should be used. (Also: note that cmap subtable format 14 should not map sequences (b) or (c) above to anything other than x, since both UVSes are satisfied by the same glyph ID.)

A similar issue is whether to render a particular SVG glyph description with animations enabled or disabled. This depends on factors outside of the font e.g.
i. Is animation possible for the context (e.g. printing to paper)
ii. Is animation feasible for the client at all (some apps' architectures may preclude animation completely)
iii. Whether there is style markup to indicate an animation preference, or a Unicode variation selector in the future.

Thus, the part of the SVG-in-OT spec's "Text Layout Process" section that says:

>  At this point, for each such glyph ID, if an SVG glyph description is available for it, it is rendered (in static or animated mode, as appropriate and if supported by the engine); otherwise, the CFF or TT glyph description must be rendered.

Does this make sense? Please let us know what you decide in this regard for your project.

Sairus