Potential new W3C PAS for SVG 1.1

Daniel,

I had a lengthy discussion with the IBM standards team and we believe the
best option would be to wait until SVG 2.0 before driving for PAS submittal
rather than submitting SVG 1.1. The reason for this is that the PAS process
takes approximately 9-18 months to complete depending on the number of
comments we need to process on SVG 1.1. Not long after we should be done
with SVG 2.0 and then we would want to submit again. SVG 2.0 will introduce
a number of new features, but some of the significant ones will have to do
with closer HTML5 alignment and accessibility. Specifically, we are moving
toward: aligning the event names to those in HTML5 (e.g. onblur); ARIA
integration; tabindex support; and closer alignment to the Document Object
Model. These modifications will provide a much stronger case for SVG
standardization in ISO. Also, these changes are significant enough that
considerable documentation would be required for the W3C and its members to
define the differences between 1.1 and 2.0 to get 2.0 submitted. We could
find ourselves in  the position of processing comments on SVG 1.1, creating
an SVG 1.2 to address them, and finishing and submitting SVG 2.0 at the
same time.

We feel that the right decision would be to wait until version 2.0 before
PAS submittal of SVG.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Inactive hide
          details for Daniel Dardailler ---04/29/2013 07:32:15
AM---Hello all, I'm using the member-only list since this isDaniel
Dardailler ---04/29/2013 07:32:15 AM---Hello all, I'm using the member-only
list since this is still an internal discussion.