RE: SVG 2 rendering model

I assume you're talking about z-index?

The generic description of the compositing spec is written so that there are no sudden jump in content when you add opacity.
The CSS portion calls out stacking contexts as groups. Compositing and blending is calculated after stacking contexts are established. At that point, they should follow the rules from the generic description.

Rik