Re: Thoughts on starting the SVG 2.0 spec

Hi,

On Mar 24, 2011, at 13:09 , Erik Dahlstrom wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:20:34 +0100, Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org> wrote:
> However, it still makes sense to be able to generate a publish version (or equivalent) locally, so I'm not saying get rid of that, just make the server do some of the work for us.
>
>> I want to vastly simplify the setup required to be able to work on the spec.
>> Amongst other things I'm working on a new build script that will eliminate the
>> need for cygwin.
>
> Just please say it's not perl-based :)

FWIW, I'm not sure what exact requirements you have for your spec tool, but I'd be happy to provide support for using ReSpec with this. It's JS (so no Perl :) and it's used by quite a few groups nowadays. It certainly uses the approach you seem to be advocating of requiring a (form of) build step only when making a TR publication.

The one big thing that comes to mind that it doesn't support that SVG would likely need is multi-document specifications, but if we can bang out some requirements of how you'd like that to be handled it's something I'd be happy to hack in support for. I might be missing some other requirements though, I haven't touched the SVG build tools in ages.

v2 is pretty much usable now, I've been using it on personal projects without trouble for a while. It's in hg too.

Just my few pimping cents!

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/