Re: ligature formation across text chunks

OK, i agree with your first point, but not with your second point; I would
not interpret the language about "resultant space between two characters" as
applying to the post-ligature results; I interpret this as "if the author
specifies kerning, letter-spacing, dx, x, etc., such that the default
spacing is changed" then ligation would be disabled; in the case

<text x="100" dx="1 2 3">coffee</text>

ligation of 'ff' would be permitted, since dx is zero for the second 'f' and
following;

If it were:

<text x="100" dx="1 2 3 1">coffee</text>

then ligation would be disabled.

Note that this creates a problem for an author that wants ligation to occur
*and* wants to specify an x or dx for the ligature glyph.

G.