Re: ligature formation across text chunks

On May 12, 2011, at 10:50 PM, Alex Danilo wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> 	I raised this a while back. It's tracked as an issue:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2332
>
> 	I think the behaviour described by Vincent is more likely to be useful
> to authoring tools.
>
> 	For example, HP's PCL-XL explicitly positions each glyph for
> printing. Microsoft's XPS does the same. The usefulness of the X,Y positions
> is more than likely for accurate glyph placement when seriallizing output from
> some tool (like SVGMaker for example). In such cases, the ligatures are more
> than likely wanted.
>
> 	As a case of how to do things properly(;-) XPS defines a set of glyph
> indices with matching X, Y positional information - then provides the raw Unicode
> string as another attribute so that character copy/paste etc. can work using the
> content in the file.
>
> 	SVG does not have the concept of glyph indices, so we're stuck with the
> character string only. So, to get precise glyph positioning (including ligatures), it
> must be done via X,Y or dx, dy.
>
> 	There are tests in the test suite to check this behaviour IIRC.

Yes, but I only found:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20061213/htmlEmbedHarness/full-text-text-04-t.html
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20061213/htmlEmbedHarness/full-text-text-05-t.html
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20061213/htmlEmbedHarness/full-text-text-06-t.html

But none of these actually seem to include ligatures and they were more focused on the handling x/y/dx/dy values, their combination and having too many/too little values. I did not find a test that would hit on the issue Cameron brought up, did I miss it?

Vincent