Re: short descriptions for SVG specifications

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 8:12:28 AM, Doug wrote:

DS> Hi, Chris-

DS> These are excellent descriptions, thanks... I meant to get to it myself,
DS> but planning SVG Open and my presentation for Web Directions South made
DS> me put it off.  Your descriptions don't seem to have been integrate yet,
DS> is that right?

They were mailed in and I an ack'ed them. I assume they will get edited into whatever system stores them, over the next couple of days.

DS> Also, we need to look at
DS> http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/graphics.html, and Mike and I need
DS> to work on the WebApps stuff.

Yes, I looked at that and will hopefully get some text in there today. The main thing is to stop it looking like just boilerplate. The news stuff is already working, but adding more sources would be good.

DS> Ideally, all this would be derived from the abstract automatically,
DS> going forward... should we address that comment to IanJ, and maybe have
DS> some new markup rules for pubrules to facilitate it, or is it good
DS> enough as is?  Do most abstracts lend themselves to this purpose, or
DS> should we promote a better style?

In some cases I took wording from the abstract. But in most cases, being familiar with the specs, I just tried to give an informal 'elevator speech' on each one, as if someone with no time asked me what a given spec was for. To some extent that used a different voice from the abstract. It also changes with time (particularly for obsolete specs, or for specs still current but with newer versions)

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG