Re: "Clarify value spacing of keySpline syntax" erratum

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:09:20 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> The “Clarify value spacing of keySpline syntax” erratum states:
>
>   The SVG Full 1.1 specification implies that the syntax for control
>   points of the keySpline attribute are space separated. Various SVG
>   test cases use commas to separate the values. SMIL syntax allows comma
>   separated values. This should be clarified in the specification.
>
> but SMIL allows semicolons, not commas.

It's a bit unclear in the spec I agree. My interpretation is that only the list-items are semicolon separated. The values in each keySplines list-item are comma-wsp separated (this part isn't fully clear, though it's implied that you can whitespace-separate the values).

I have a selection of files that assume that behaviour.

> The test suite doesn’t use commas, only semicolons.  Also, no file in the test suite uses just
> space separated numbers.

For keySplines:
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/test/svg/animate-elem-12-t.svg (uses comma-separator)
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/test/svg/animate-elem-17-t.svg (uses comma-separator)
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/test/svg/animate-elem-220-t.svg (draft, uses whitespace-separator, and has whitespace around the semicolons)

All the tests I found used semicolon to separate the list-items.

> Also, the text for keyTimes allows only
> semicolon separation on not just whitespace separation.

I think that's a bit restrictive, optional whitespace should be allowed around the semicolon-separators.

> I think we should change the spec to state that keySpline, keyTimes,
> values and keyPoints all must use semicolons to separate values, but can
> have optional whitespace around the semicolons.

Sounds good. I'd like to see the keySpline-listitem grammar/parsing-rules explicitly stated in the spec though.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group