Fw: Consider a temporary reduction in frequency of Group face-to-face meetings

FYI

----- Forwarded message from Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org> -----

From: Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:03:23 -0500
To: "chairs@w3.org" <chairs@w3.org>
CC: w3c-ac-forum <w3c-ac-forum@w3.org>
Subject: Consider a temporary reduction in frequency of Group face-to-face  meetings

Dear Chairs,

In November 2008, we announced a reduction in Team travel as one of a number of cost savings measures ...
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2008OctDec/0111.html

One impact of this is that Team representatives will not likely be able to attend all face-to-face Working Group meetings, especially if the frequency of those meetings continues at a pace of 3-5 per year.  A number of active Group participants (Members, Invited Experts) have expressed concerns to me and my Team-mates about their ability to travel to the usual number of meetings per year, due to the extreme, economic challenges of our time.

If you have not already done so, please schedule a specific agenda item during an upcoming Group meeting to discuss the possibility of reducing the frequency of face-to-face  meetings, while remaining as productive as possible.  Given the economy, and in fairness to those who want to actively support W3C's work  (and even the impact on our climate) and we need to think and act more creatively ...  Leverage collaboration tools more heavily. Schedule some longer (4+ hr) teleconferences if possible. Hold telcons where there are smaller sub-groups of people who live near each other, with those sub-groups are connected through zakim.  You probably have other, better ideas.

I leave this up to each Group to discuss the options, and make a decision that is sensitive to workload and the increasing constraints on travel that many of us face.

Feel free to share your thoughts and creative ideas on this list.

Regards,

Steve
--
Steven R Bratt    mailto:steve@w3.org