Re: SVG Tiny vs SVG Core

Hi, Fujisawa-san-

Yes, this is definitely an important point to consider.  We want to send
the correct message to the JIS, that now is the correct time to
standardize on SVG, with SVG 1.2 Tiny as a stable and important landmark
in the SVG family of specifications.  It is much better written than
previous SVG specs, with a more complete test suite and better
interoperability, and is the implementation target for use of SVG on
mobiles, including the Japanese market.

At the same time, the desktop market and developer community needs a
clear signal that we are continuing to move forward with a new
specification.  It will, of course, be based on the improvements we made
to the SVG 1.2 Tiny specification, and will be compatible with that
specification.  Since we have just started work on the project, we don't
yet have a solid idea of when it will be done.

We need to find the best way to communicate this to both communities,
those that require stability and those that desire faster progress.
Your suggestion is a good start toward right message, and the SVG WG and
W3C will discuss how best to move forward based on both these needs.

Thanks-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs