Re: New desired features for SVG

Hi David,

David Storey wrote:
> As well as torture tests, I think I recall it being brought up at SVG
> Open about new desired features for SVG.  I have my own personal list
> that I'll share here. Some may already be in the process of being
> specced, so for these see it as a validation of the demand for these
> features. Apologies if any of these is possible right now and I've just
> missed them.
>
> * Allow keywords for transforming around a centre point. This is too
> difficult in SVG, especially when using % widths and height. Something
> like:
>     transform="rotate(-45 center center)"
> could work, but I'll leave it up to the spec guys to work out the best
> way. If we are going to allow transforming around the centre point,
> maybe it would be useful for other keywords like top-left, centre-left,
> etc. I guess it is not always obvious what is the centre point of an
> irregular shape, but maybe the centre of the bounding box would be
> sufficient?

Great minds think alike ;-) I was thinking of adding something like this to the
SVG Transforms specification. Center of the bounding box would produce cases
where the center of an irregular object is something weird. That said, I think
it is a reasonable solution.

As something else to think about, what do you think about using the 'centroid'
of an object instead of 'center'. The centroid of an object could be calculated
by breaking the object into parts (triangles perhaps) then summing the centroids
of each part. That may give a more desirable 'center' point.

What does the IG think?

Cheers,

Anthony