Re: SVG::Sparklines Talk

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:14:43 +0100
Helder Magalhães <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi G. Wade,

Hi Helder,

> First of all, thanks for sharing such cool stuff. ;-)
>

> > I've attached my presentation as a zip file containing an S5
> > slideshow.
>
> I wasn't aware of S5 and that made me revisit HTML Slidy [1] and
> remember a few LaTeX [2] experiments... :-)  I specially liked the
> simple and clean layout, with the SVG logo. Good work! ;-)
>

> > The presentation is also available on-line at
> > http://anomaly.org/wade/projects/sparkline_presentation/
>
> About the presentation: you are using "iframe" from embedding SVG
> content. While this seems to lead to a slightly shorter syntax (are
> there other reasons?), I've noticed that using IE8+ASV6 it triggers a

I've been bouncing around the different approaches. This sounds like a
good reason to drop iframe. I'll try to get a chance to update
everything before the meeting.

> security warning *for each* embedded SVG... :-(  Also, IE (by default)
> draws a border around iframes so you may tweak your CSS if you want to

I thought I had turned borders off on the iframes, but maybe not.

> keep this approach. I'd suggest using "object" instead (Slidy proposes
> that [3], by the way), as it will at least lower the number of
> security warnings to one. ;-)
>
> About sparkline: I've noticed the examples hard-code the height and
> width of the sparkline in the generated SVG. The proposal is that they
> "height" and "width" attributes in the top-level "svg" element are
> abandoned (the default is "100%" for both, so the content resizes to
> the available space ("viewBox" and "preserveAspectRatio" should take

I hadn't really thought about that. I've pretty much always defined the
size of my SVG out of habit. This is a great idea.

> care of the rest). Idea was that the content dimension was only
> decided when embedding into prose, allowing dimensioning dynamically
> according to line height. Also, seeing an enlarged version of the SVG
> when browsing directly seemed more interesting and even useful for
> debugging. Just my two cents! ;-)

I'll add it to my TODO list for the next version.

Thanks,
G. Wade

--
The man who says he is willing to meet you halfway is usually a poor
judge of distance.                                    -- Laurence J.