Re: SVG panel at SxSW

On 7 Jul 2009, at 22:47, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, David-
>
> David Storey wrote (on 7/7/09 4:39 PM):
>> Are any people on this list going to be at South By next year?  We at
>> Opera are looking to submit a proposal for a SVG panel before the
>> deadline on Thursday.
>>
>> Is anyone that is attending interested in speaking on a SVG panel, or
>> anyone that would go if we can get them on a panel?
>>
>> By March next year, Brad's Flash shim should have been revealed for
>> 4/5
>> months, so with IE support being less of an issue, there should be
>> some
>> interesting topics to talk about, and hopefully some good real world
>> examples to show.
>
> I'd be interested in being on the panel.

Great!
>  To get it accepted, we might look at including Canvas in the pitch,
> talk about Open Web Graphics in general.

Opera has quite a good history of getting things excepted, but I guess
that is party due to having helped organise popular panels like the
browser wars and this year's CSS 3 panel.  It couldn't harm to include
canvas too, though I can't say I know too much of the ins and outs
with not being a JavaScripter.  I was thinking of having a sVG coming
of age type theme, inspired by the SVG Open tag line, but I guess it
could be a Open Web graphics in general  coming of age session.  It
might be good anyway to clear up the misconceptions of canvas vs SVG,
as in my mind at least they are both good for different use cases and
more complimentary.  Especially with the canvas in SVG stuff.

>  We could discuss the differences and use cases, and have demos for
> both.
>
> Regards-
> -Doug Schepers
> W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32