Re: Another draft of SVG book: Draft 2.0

On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:56:01 +0200, Helder Magalhães
<helder.magalhaes@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I spent a considerable amount of time (a few hours) cleaning up the HTML
>> code to make it well-formed and valid (which is why it took me so long
>> to upload it).  I really hope we can avoid that in the future.
>>  I know you originally wrote the book in a text editor (MS Word?), but
>> hopefully someone out there can recommend an HTML-output editor that
>> won't butcher the code.
>>  Any suggestions?
>
> Notepad++? :-D

Not available on my system, but it does work. Other text editors too.

Amaya does not preserve your code untouched (it pretty-prints it, and will
generally offer to rescue it from errors), and it doesn't have support for
all of CSS. However it is a WYSIWYG tool that produces lean clean valid
code.

And as a bonus, it is capable of handling *some* SVG stuff.

>> I would also like to see SVG rather than rasters wherever possible.
>
> I'm not sure about that. I've already stated this would be a bad idea:
>  * The number of animated SVG examples and high processing
> requirements of some of them would render the document unusable;
>  * Most animations (ones without looping) would already have been
> finished by the time the reader looked at them;

I think that linking the animations is better than putting them there.
Period. If people can't see the SVG, give them a link to some other
animated format, but it isn't the same and I am not sure it is worth
worrying about - a description should be enough for those cases.

>  * Placing as many SVG content within a single document will likely
> crash some implementations: for example, ASV6 crashes with just a few
> objects (and, although moribund, I guess we should support it until
> something better comes up for IE users).
>
> I've also already proposed something like a click/activate event which
> would replace the raster version with an object/embed tag with the
> same dimension. I'm convinced this would be less prone to the problems
> above, but I need to make a few tests for sure. :-)

Well, there are various script libraries out there that handle this sort
of thing, and it would indeed be nice to use them to have native SVG where
possible. An alternative is to have a script that replaces the SVG with
the .*** version where necessary...

cheers

Chaals