Re: Another draft of SVG book: Draft 2.0

From: Helder Magalhães <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 10:42:17 +0100
To: "Dailey, David P." <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Cc: public-svg-ig@w3.org, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Hi David et. al.,

> Here is the next version of the SVG Book.
>
> http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/cs427/StateOfArt-Dailey.html (same
> address as before, just better stuff!)
>
> We’ll call it Draft number 2.

Cool. :-)

> I like the idea of moving it into a version control system and am happy with
> what folks have said about Subversion, but won’t be able to go there for a
> few weeks in terms of my schedule. Doug and I will also be talking about the
> nature of the shared copyright and what that means in terms of “W3C
> Document” status.

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to version control. :-)  Would make
comments such as the following much swifter. ;-)

> 4.       E-mail me with any egregious or small mistakes that need to be
> corrected soon.

Doing that right now:
 * In "The values of its mode attribute are as they would be in a
photo editing program like Adobe Photoshop�.", there seems to have
been an issue with the encoding of the HTML document -- you'd probably
meant the "(R)" character.
* The table of contents and footnote links still point to the previous
location (for example,
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/resources/StateOfArt-Dailey.html#footnote1anc"),
and seems like the redirect isn't taking the link hash into
consideration (so you just end up in
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/resources/svgprimer.html"). Simply
removing all occurrences of "StateOfArt-Dailey.html" should fix it
(only the hash will then be taken into consideration).

I have a lot more comments, mostly regarding minor stuff such as typos
and minor incoherences. I'd defer those for whenever the book is
accessible through version control, in order to spare everyone from
the overhead of tracing a particular sentence in order to fix a typo.

> Have fun!
> David

Hope this helps,
 Helder