RE: revision strategies [was RE: [Moderator Action] Re: Progress on SVG book]

From: Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:39 -0400
To: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>, <public-svg-ig@w3.org>
Hi Helder,

Just a couple quick responses -- though there is clearly more to talk about in what you've written.

On Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:27 AM, Helder Magalh„es wrote:

>On Windows, there's the excellent TortoiseSVN [1] which integrates into Windows Explorer
> and makes revision control pretty intuitive.

Sounds good. I'm going to look into that.

>> Right now, Shaun Roe has volunteered for an XSLT (/AJAX) section

>I might also give a hand there later. I've made some XML+XSL
>generating XHTML+SVG lately so I might give a hand or two. :-)  I have
>an item in my TODO stack (which keeps increasing no matter how) to
>published something about these experiments but I have no idea when
>will that be done, unfortunately... :-|

I want to put some of the topics for discussion about this maybe in the the SVG IG wiki.
For example the list of sections from http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/cs427/StateOfArt-Dailey.html#Afterword might be good in a wiki as a sort of sign-up sheet for volunteers.

It'd give a place to organize the thoughts contained in what are now a dozen or more e-mails in this forum -- searchable yes, but not all that organized.

>* Using raster images and placing a link in them to the SVG file used to generate them;

Actually, what I've done for now is to use a special class called "example" that appears in green at the bottom of tables that contain source code listings and bitmapped illustrations.

That way if I don't happen to have a live example handy, then it just isn't linked from.

See for example toward the bottom of http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/cs427/StateOfArt-Dailey.html#getCTM

> Another approach would be inserting the
>source listings though a server-side script -- something like
>(HTML+pseudo-code):

Yes that is what is done right now. I'd guess a hundred or two hundred like that.

Gotta run to class
Cheers
David