RE: [Moderator Action] Re: Progress on SVG book

Hi,

Sort of a status report and sort of a response to questions raised by Helder and others. [Hi Helder!]

Yes, the most up to date version is indeed for now at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/cs427/StateOfArt-Dailey.html

I've been making new revisions every day. I've added a lot of styles, mostly to handle the various different ways that source listings are handled - four or more different varieties. I've finished up my response to from all of the original reviewers as well as some comments from Ruud. (I also managed to botch up and forget some very nice work he had done in December to make the HTML validate -- <sigh/>). Mainly right now, I've been working on modernizing the text, to make it a bit more reflective of the modern state of things than it was at the time of original completion. I'm also adding reasonable values to the empty alt tags generated by the HTML conversion. I think the document should be at its next stable version in about a week.

but here's what I'm thinking would be best for now:

I'll let SVG-IG know when I'm done with all my stuff (it really is pretty unstable right now)

At that point I'd like to move the most current version back to W3C (and possibly also to planetSVG).

At that time seems like the best time to open up things for another round of revisions.

Typos and factual errors are clearly the sorts of things I want to address now, though suggestions for alternative perspectives, new sections, new examples, new chapters, and major reworks - that's a different phase, in my mind. Important, yes, but I'd like some help figuring out how that is best enabled, while still maintaining both a) a definitive current version at W3C and b) some degree of editorial control (which will lessen over time).

Lots of new sections need to be added at some time; I think it makes sense for prospective authors to work with me on those for now.... from the Afterword:

*	A nice clean treatment of the interaction between scripted animation and SMIL;
*	A good section on XSLT used with SVG;
*	A small Appendix on HTML that actually reflects the state of HTML as it begins its transition into HTML5;
*	Better treatment of SVG in HTML and XHTML (in-line SVG, SVG in text/HTML) etc.;
*	A more extensive treatment of Ajax;
*	use of the SVG 1.1 DOM methods (including such things as element.href.baseVal="http:..." instead of the more cumbersome setAttributeNS(). Perhaps a treatment of "shadow trees" would belong here;
*	explanation of getScreenCTM
*	A knowledgeable account of Apache Batik;
*	illustration of drag and drop.(e.g., as at this example <http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/makeDragDrop.svg> )
*	CSS and JavaScript (this stuff is now available in more than one browser and the SVG WG is extending its functionality in many important ways).
*	The use of foreignObject (to put HTML inside SVG).
*	A more thorough treatment of script libraries appropriate to SVG (e.g. Dojo);
*	Code optimization (for example see http://www.treebuilder.de/default.asp?file=978374.xml)
*	Accessibility issues in SVG. (A first step would be to make this book, itself more accessible, starting with reasonable values of the alt attribute for all images.) [note - this should be done soon!]
*	Other?

So I see phase 0 (my own current revisions) as about to end

Phase 1 would consist of addressing the "easier" feedback from SVG IG: typos and errors of fact

Concurrent with this would be discussion of how to make Phases 2 and 3 happen

Phase 2 would consist of delegating responsibility for writing new sections.

Concurrent with this would be figuring out how to handle stylistic or pedagogical issues. E.g., questions like "should embed really be given such prominence or might something else be better?" I would rather not get bogged down in those things for now, and would prefer to just put a simple disclaimer on the document which allows W3C to distance itself from any of my prose that may differ from "official" W3C perspective.

Phase 3 would consist of figuring out how to decentralize control, consistent with W3C's and my own interests in the material.

Now it could well be that some sort of CMS through planetSVG would allow collaborative modification with editorial oversight in a way which would, in fact blur the boundaries between these phases and minimize the duplication of effort. Clearly having 20 people all point out the same typos is not useful (though I must say that among the 5 initial responses, very few people found the same typos). Many of you have had more experience with this sort of stuff than I and hence may know what works best.

In the short run I'm interested in getting the thing tidy, but not necessarily perfect, and welcome everyone's help in that way. I'm interested in getting it "out there" soon and visible to the larger public. I don't, however, want to sign up for perpetual maintenance duty. But then I'm also not ready just yet to turn it into a wiki.

Does this make sense to folks?

Cheers

David