Re: PlanetSVG Authoring Workflow

Reply inline...

Jeff Schiller wrote:
> We talked a little in the call about it, but I'd like to make it a
> little easier to author tutorials on PlanetSVG, having now had some
> experience doing so
> (http://www.planetsvg.com/content/aqua-buttons-svg-part-1)
>
> 1) Author should be able to upload raster images inline with their
> textual content (currently I'm linking to images on a folder on my
> website)

Definitely.
> 2) Author should have a way of submitting other content needed for the
> tutorial (.svg, .js, .css, .xml files) so that the files are hosted on
> the site.  Since these files could have security issues, we need a
> safe way of doing this.  I see a couple options for this:
>
>    a) author can zip up all auxiliary files and send an email to the
> administrators of the site with instructions on where to place them
> (URL folder)
>
>    b) author has the ability to create a folder and upload files
> themselves, but are not able to publish a story until it has been
> approved by an administrator/moderator (of course then it is the
> moderator's job to review the code for security problems).

We can do option a simply by posting guidelines today. Option b sounds
more useful to me though. I envision a user creating their content and
attaching multiple files. Rasters, as described above, could be attached
and handled completely automatically. Any supporting files that are too
hard to validate programmatically could be attached in a zip file which
would have to be vetted by a moderator or admin. If, at some point,
there's a backlog of content to review then we can re-evaluate the process.
> At some point in time do we want to instate an 'Editor process' where
> someone on the site has the opportunity to give feedback to the author
> prior to publishing?
>
> Regards,
> Jeff

Maybe at some point. At present we can enable comments on the tutorial
pages which allows any authenticated
user to give feedback. Interested authors can integrate that feedback
into revisions of their work if they like.

Regards,
Rob Russell
rob@latenightpc.com
http://www.latenightpc.com/blog