Re: Planet SVG: The layout

Hi, Manuel-

Manuel Strehl wrote (on 11/13/08 5:21 AM):

> I just updated the draft:
> <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Image:Planet.svg.png>. Please
> excuse the example image...

Looks good, still.

> My ideas so far:
>
> * The boxes are kind of "general purpose" elements, that can be used in
> any neccessary combination. I didn't think of concrete examples when
> designing them. Since they should be variable in height, they could
> contain anything that is currently on the left side (search box, login
> fields, ...).

We definitely need the a search box that lets newbies jump to answers to
their questions... maybe with preference given to words in the tutorials
and documentation details, if possible.

> * The huge SVG logo in the back will be aligned at the right, so that it
> will vanish partly or fully behind the text on 4:3 screens or not
> maximized browser windows

Don't worry too much about this.  Your use of the logo looks fine to me
and to everyone I've asked about it.

> * The black box at the right is now a login box, but as Rob suggested,
> it could be also used for anything else, e.g., random images

Might be nice to have it show pictures from an SVG gallery, when we have
that up.

> * If the general layout (color scheme and the likes) would be approved
> by the IG, I should do one or two more wireframes to describe, e.g., the
> forums or a news page. In any case, I'm looking forward to see different
> designs or alternations of mine (that should then provide the same).

I will ask the Vodafone guys to come up with their own design, and we
could perhaps use the best features of both.

However, I would like to hurry with this to coincide with a potential
press release in December, so we shouldn't get too hung up on details.

> * Top navigation: I agrre, that it should be fixed to, at most, 4 items
> with short titles. Everything else is not considered in the layout
>
> @Alexander: I reduced the number of SVG logos used to two (+ the one in
> the example image). However, I think it would be great, if someone would
> contribute a brighter theme (e.g., white as background and perhaps more
> like this: <http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=208/208.css> or
> <http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=118/118.css>), so that we could
> compare.

Yes, it can be (and will be) improved, but "perfect" is the enemy of
"good", especially when you have a deadline.

> @Doug: Wireframing in Inkscape/SVG is quite straight forward, but of
> course I can do a blog interview on this (however this works. Never done
> one). Actually, it has some really nice advantages over Photoshop.

Great, I'll be in touch offlist next week.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs