Re: SVG A11y Task Force

Hi Amelia,

I think the primary effort of the task force should be making sure SVG is
included in ARIA 1.1, the Graphics Module, Graphics AAM and SVG AAM become
recommendations and SVG is well supported in automated testing.

Looking beyond ARIA 1.1, I would like to see an open source
haptic/haptic-like widget created for SVG. The widget would work with a
screen reader, haptic feedback (if available) and mouse or touch events. A
group outside of the task force should build the widget and the task force
could capture/define the taxonomy and behaviors needed to support the
widget and establish
 best practices so users can learn to read and explore graphics independent
of element based navigation. Some potential groups that could create the
widget are a publishing group, DAISY, group of data visualization vendors,
the DIAGRAM Center, a cartographic organization or ETS. I would be willing
to work on the widget if I have the time or if funding were available.

I would like to see a way to get connectors in SVG. Connectors should be a
best practice for graph links and connectors are needed to calculate an
accessible name from content for graph links.
Without connectors graph links are in a similar situation to text that has
converted to path elements. Perhaps the task force could take ownership and
produce SVG 2.1 for a limited set of features.

Regards,

Fred Esch

--
Regards,