Re: Reviewing the focus + tabindex section in SVG 2

Amelia,

Feedback on the SVG focus section

14.9.1. Sequential focus navigation and the ‘tabindex’ attribute
Any item the may never appear in the accessibility tree should not be
focusable regardless of presence of tabindex/tabindex value (ie putting
tabindex on a title, desc, filters, filter parts, mesh, mesh parts does
nothing)

The best practice for values of tabindex is to only use  -1 or 0, talking
about using values greater than 0 isn't a good idea.

14.9.1.1. Focus management

This section has problems wrt context.

We want to be able to omit a group from the accessibility tree when the
only purpose of the group is to pass on (style) attributes to descendants.
However, we may want a descendent of that group focusable.

I would not want any user agent granting focusablity to elements that can
never appear in the accessibility tree (titles, filters, mesh...).
Somewhere you should tell user agents what isn't acceptable (default)
behavior.

I think using the term inert is odd given the definition/use in Section 7.2
of inert.

Elements that will never appear in the accessibility tree should never be
focusable. (ie title, desc, filter, mesh...)

     Regards,

    Fred Esch
 Watson, IBM, W3C
  Accessibility

 IBM Watson       Watson Release Management and Quality