Re: [SVG-AAM] editorial: Accessible name calculation

Hi Amelia,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:39:39 +0200, Amelia Bellamy-Royds
<amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chaals,
>
> I'm working on the doc today, so I can make some changes.  This was
> supposed to be the purpose of the note box at the end of section 5.6.1,

Yes, but the problem is it isn't clear what gets put in...

> which currently says:
>
>> The net effect of these changes is to establish the following priority
>> of alternative text values for the accessible name:
>> aria-labelledby
>> aria-label
>> a direct child title element
>> xml:title attribute
>> for a use element, the accessible name calculated for the re-used
>> content
>> for text container elements, the text content
>> The alternative text values for the accessible description have the
>> following priority:
>> aria-describedby
>> a direct child desc element
>> for a use element, the accessible description calculated for the
>> re-used content
>> for text container elements, the text content
>> a direct child title element that provides a tooltip, when ARIA label
>> attributes are used to provide a different accessible name
>> The aria-labelledby and aria-describedby properties can reference the
>> element on which they are given, in order to concatenate one of the
>> other text alternatives with text from >>a separate element.
>
> Do you think a more detailed jargon-free description is required?

Yes please.

> Or can we get by with that note box plus the complete algorithm text,
> highlighting the modified sections?

No, there needs to be a bit more information about where it *stops*
collecting stuff to add. (That comment applies to the Name calculation
document as well).

For example, as I understand the algorithms, if there is
aria-labelledby="onething anotherthing", then you get the content for
those two items.

But where i tried to work with

<defs>
   <g id="foo"><title="foo-label">generic label</title></g>
</defs>

<use xlink:href="#foo">
   <title>a specific instance with a </title>
</use>

Doing the same thing as I would with pointers to a generic and specific
label using aria, I am not sure if I can have the two titles joined
together or not.

More generally, I can't tell from what is in the summary what to expect
(assuming the implementations improve enough to make the question
relevant), and reading the algorithm was harder than trial-and-error.

Which in any event revealed that there is no consistency in
implementations except support of aria-labelledby. WIth the usual rider of
"IFF you have a screenreader running" :S

cheers

Chaals