Re: link navigation

Chaals,

The sparse chord example does indeed show issues.  The first time I ran it
using Firefox my default browser, I saw wedges of the chords disappearing
and it reminded me of search lights in the sky. I did not follow the
navigation pattern as my focus was drawn to wondering why chords were
changing.  I tried it on Chrome and saw different highlighting - a blue
bounding rectangle of the left bar + chord (or a horizontal blue line if
the rectangle was clipped) and less noticeably a gray blur on the chord
boundary.  IE was similar to Chrome, but in IE the gray blur was more
noticeable than the box.

I ran it several times and  I realized that navigation was walking down the
left side. It took me several more minutes to realize that the pattern was
left bar, chord, left bar, chord - I think. Hitting the ENTER key turned
chords gray on Chrome. I don't have a clue as to what that is supposed to
mean. If navigation was simply walking down the left bars, I would suggest
strong highlighting on the active left bar so the user can see the
navigation pattern.  I don't think this is a workable pattern as I will
have to look at the DOM to verify the navigation order.

Connectors may help, but users won't know how to use connectors in
navigation. I will go out on a limb and say, it is pretty easy for sighted
users to pick up using the arrow keys for navigating. However, sighted
users don't have a natural or learned association for using connectors.
Training a user on a chutes and ladders (snakes and ladders) game would
help for nodes with single connections, but not for nodes with multiple
connections.  My experience is, when you get multiple connections, the user
will have additional keystrokes to learn and use. Since most users won't
learn and use additional keys for infrequent use cases, connector based
navigation will be mostly ignored.

     Regards,

    Fred Esch
 Watson, IBM, W3C
  Accessibility

 IBM Watson       Watson Release Management and Quality