RE: SVG markup thoughts

Leonie,

I don't know if background is a good role to keep, but in experimenting
with markup for navigation and thinking about
personalization/accommodations for sighted users, I am experimenting with
roles that I think may help in those situations.

I see background being used a couple of ways. For folks with cognitive
disabilities, it could be used to focus their attention to a general area
of interest.  For low vision users, it may be needed to help figure out
what is the background for text so the contrast can be increased. To me
tweaking a background has less impact than tweaking an graphic object that
represents data like a bar, area, or scatterplot point, or even a
geographic boundary for a state. Lots of things have backgrounds that could
be difficult to identify if no markup helps you. Panelled charts,
charts-in-charts, STEM diagrams all need help identifying backgrounds from
data.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson