Re: chart info from NCAM and other issues from SVG A11Y meeting August 14

Jason,

I like the idea of enabling authors to present information to their users.
Graphics present information very well to users with perfect vision and
without cognitive impairments. Providing additional channels of information
will only work well when authors can customize information for the intended
audience.

1. Define each “dimension” of the data so that its type is clear to the
UA/AT.

fe:  I think the proper place to define a dimension is on a visible scale -
either an visible axis or a legend. If there is no axis/legend for a
dimension, then we should not try to define that dimension for the audience
as the visual user doesn't get that information and the author may not
intend the scale to be metric.

For example, an application may use a proprietary algorithm to rank order a
list. Instead of presenting a list, they choose to present the results as a
bar chart with the largest bar on the left and the bars in descending order
as you go right.  In this case, the author does not want you to compare
categories using value ratios - so they do not have a Y axis on the chart.
The visual user looks at the left most category on the X axis and knows
this category has the highest value, they don't know what that value is.
The user can't compare a ratio value for two categories as they are not
given a Y axis as a scale - which is what the author intends.

2. Use an ARIA property to declare its visual representation. Thus, for a
numerical value, the visual presentation could be declared as, e.g., “bar
height”, “bar width”, “point” (in a coordinate plane), “sector” (as in a
pie chart), etc.

I think this is valuable and interesting. However, it think it can be
difficult for an author to articulate and thus won't be used much. How does
an author articulate a color in a continuous color scale? ( ColorBrewer 2,
has great categorical color scales. ) How does an author provide names for
custom shapes?

There will also be domain considerations, such as symbol names on
blueprints. Would an aria property add confusion if the author provided a
description?

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
     Accessibility Focal, Watson Solutions
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson