Agenda for April 17, 2015

I believe Rich and Léonie may be traveling and unable to attend. If so, I
would like to discuss wiki vis git and go over open actions for anyone

We have a couple of tasks outstanding relating to navigation, so it may be
time to put navigation aside for a few weeks until related tasks are
farther along.  I listed navigation related tasks below
Leone and Doug will look at chart navigation
Rich has a task to look at connectors
And Chaals will look at interaction with Jason and the testing crew

If I am missing a navigation or interaction related task - please let me

Time of meeting is 9:00AM EST, 14:00 UTC, duration is 1 hour
Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 2742 ("ARIA"), IRC channel is

minutes from the April 10 meeting:


Git vs wiki

Open Actions

 ACTION-1584  open Put together use cases and requirements for  Fred Esch        2015-02-20 SVG           
                   deaf and hard of hearing people.                                         Accessibility 
 ACTION-1588  open Send email regarding pf group charter status Richard          2015-02-27 SVG           
                   and how it affects publication of api        Schwerdtfeger               Accessibility 
 ACTION-1589  open Update the accessibility appendix in the     Richard          2015-02-27 SVG           
                   main svg specs, to link back to the relevant Schwerdtfeger               Accessibility 
 ACTION-1599  open Connect with lisa seeman to have an          Richard          2015-03-27 SVG           
                   interlock discussion on cogintive a11y use   Schwerdtfeger               Accessibility 
 ACTION-1600  open Get with doug to build a starting navigation Léonie Watson    2015-03-27 SVG           
                   strategy for charts                                                      Accessibility 
 ACTION-1601  open Take a look at the connector spec. and       Richard          2015-03-27 SVG           
                   develop navigation strategy and identify     Schwerdtfeger               Accessibility 
                   semantic points of interest                                                            
 ACTION-1602  open Find some stem graphics to consider as use   Jason White      2015-03-27 SVG           
                   cases                                                                    Accessibility 
 ACTION-1603  open Work with jasonw, markkuh and the universe   Charles McCathie 2015-03-27 SVG           
                   to discover how people do interaction…       Nevile                      Accessibility 

I have been looking at how style information is used in SVG and have been
thinking about accommodations for low vision and color blind users (and
possibly accommodations for users with cognitive issues) that involve
changing stroke widths, swapping colors and making text easier to read. We
have talked about semantically important parts of a graphic vs not
semantically important parts of a graphic and I was wondering what would be
an appropriate method of distinguishing between them. Use of a title has
been suggested as a gate for semantically important vs not semantically
important.  If we have time, I would like to discuss what kinds of things
would be reasonable gates/flags/identifiers to try out.

                    Regards,                     Fred         
                   Fred Esch                                  
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations                      
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group                  
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force                      
                   IBM Watson                                 

Received on Wednesday, 15 April 2015 12:29:33 UTC