Re: What is a failure?

On 12/11/14 12:26 PM, Olle Olsson wrote:
> Anyway, I am looking forward to more people adding their views on this
> Success/Failure topic.

I suspect that without agreed and objective metrics to measure success
and failure in this context, the discussion about whether standards
effort X is a success or failure is a bit of a "rat hole". For example,
if new WG Y brings in 5 new full Members and those new fees help further
some other higher priority work, yet group Y never produces a single
implementation, is that effort a success or failure?

It seems like rather position this discussion as a success vs failure
question, perhaps it would be more useful to think in terms of
objectively measurable benefit / cost analysis. Some example related Qs
would be: how does starting WG Y affect the Consortium's overall budget;
what is the cost for Members if WG Y is started; what real world
quantifiable interoperability problems require a new standard; etc..

-Cheers, AB