Re: What is a failure?

On 2014-12-10 20:38, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
>> For what reason are the technologies listed there called "failures"?
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/AB/2014-2015_Priorities/w3c_work_success is a wiki, feel free to edit it.  The initial contents were off the top of my head, and were somewhat deliberately controversial in order to get some discussion started.   As I recall my thinking, both WS* and the Semantic Web have been successful in terms of generating W3C standards, but neither lived up to the hype with which they were launched some years ago.

The wiki ... until I get a better feel for how people approach this
area, I stay on the mail ;-)

One could see an analogy between on the one hand the way certain
technology comes to novel uses, and on the other hand, the concept
"exaptation" in biological evolution. For the latter, the Wikipedia
article starts as:

*Exaptation* (a replacement for the teleologically
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology>-loaded term
"*pre-adaptation*"^[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exaptation#cite_note-Gould1982-1> )
        and the related term *co-option
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-option_%28biology%29>* describe a shift
in the function of a trait during evolution
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution>.
        For example, a trait can evolve because it served one particular
function, but subsequently
        it may come to serve another.

We do see things like this in many technological areas, where in effect
good use of the technology is made in other domains/use cases than
originally envisioned. Well, Flickr originally started as a platform for
multiplayer online games, with support for uploading images to embellish
your persona. Soon it was noticed that people were using the platform to
share images, and based on that, the path of Flickr was redirected to
photo sharing service.

The semantic web has resulted in much technology that is used by people
who are not interested in the philosophical dimension of semantics and
ontology, but rather see the technology as a generic multi-purpose
technology that provides extremely good support for information exchange
in distributed / decentralised applications (e.g., using SPARQL).

So, yes, the Semantic Web has not materialised as originally envisioned
("intelligent exchange and inference of knowledge/information"), but it
has become a platform for loosely coupled systems.

In addition, in many areas the information representation format (RDF)
has replaced the structured databases (e.g. relational databases),
especially in contexts where information handled is not always in a
fixed structure (like tables).

So, "success" and "failure" is actually often "in the eyes of the
beholder". Which means that it is often important to be explicit about
the point of view from which one judges X as a success or as a failure.

> I do like the distinction between:
>> (1) failure to reach the formal objectives specified for the work.
>> (2) failure to achieve the expected real-world effects
> I personally think this task force should prioritize (1), because if an effort can't even get enough support to advance through W3C, it's not likely to be destined for real world success.   Or something might have so much real-world success as a de facto standard that there isn't much interest in formalizing W3C Recommendation.  In either case, it's probably not a good use of W3C's resources to keep investing in that area.
>
> That's not to say we should ignore (2), just be fairly humble about the prospects of predicting real world success/failure given all the extraneous factors that go into it, e.g. the whims of what the technorati consider in fashion this season, and random shocks such as the Snowden revelations that drove a lot of rethinking about security/privacy.

Agreed. In general, only time will tell whether a certain W3C technology
will become a critical component of the web.

Evaluation before starting work and during work is probably the only
thing that makes sense. And for that we need some conceptual framework,
based on which one can define rules and guidelines for how to evaluate
proposed or on-going work.

And, of course, no such evaluation method is fool-proof. Was it not the
case that XHTML looked good when proposed and started, as well as during
its first phases of life. In effect, the torpedo that sank XHTML came
from the outside (WHATWG). So either one has to acknowledge that certain
failures cannot be anticipated ("shit happens, we have to live with
it"), or one has to spend a lot of effort to monitor and evaluate what
is going on in the external world, and proactively take action
(stop/redirect work) instead of reactively take actions.

Perhaps one could say that if W3C *never* experiences failures, then
W3C  was not ambitious enough.

What are the practical differences between evaluating proposed work
("Should this proposed WG on topic X be started?") and evaluating
on-going work ("Based on its track record, will the WG on topic X
succeed?") ?

A number of formal checks can be identified for both these cases, like
"is there a critical mass of critical players actively involved?";  "is
the output of the WG influencing the kind and volume of expectations
from the intended users?"; "is the WG actually taking advantage of the
liaisons it has specified in its charter?", etc.

Anyway, I am looking forward to more people adding their views on this
Success/Failure topic.

/olle