Re: Proposed updates to the SPARQL 1.1 test suite

Sure, some of the problematic cases are not likely to be written by non-expert
users but the problematic cases cover just about anything a non-expert user is
going write, including

SELECT ?x WHERE { ?x :p :b . FILTER EXISTS { ?x :p :c . } }

and

SELECT ?x WHERE { ?x :p :b .
                  FILTER EXISTS { SELECT ?x WHERE { ?x :q :d . } } }

and

SELECT ?x WHERE { ?x :p ?y .
                  FILTER EXISTS { SELECT ?z WHERE { ?z :p ?y . } } }

Rewriting problematic cases as unproblematic ones is very tough.

Consider

SELECT ?x WHERE { ?x :p ?y . OPTIONAL { ?y :p ?z }
                  FILTER EXISTS { ?x :q ?z } }

How can that be transformed into an "equivalent" query that doesn't use ?x or
?z in a BGP or a subquery in the EXISTS.

peter