Re: Proposed updates to the SPARQL 1.1 test suite

I agree that there is a defect.

However, for

EXISTS is implemented differently in different SPARQL implementations
whenever a variable appears in a subquery but is not projected back up to
the top level of the EXISTS argument.

and

EXISTS results in invalid semantic structures whenever a variable in a
solution mapping appears anywhere in the argument
- in a VALUES construct,
- as a BIND variable,
- as a SELECT variable,
or
- in a BOUND expression.

I suggest that the queries that illustrate these are a little funky, in the sense, that to write them, one is likely to be a sufficiently advanced SPARQL developer to wonder what the semantics is, and then to get a little confused. Then the more cautious query writer may choose to rename some variables or make some other adjustment to the query.