Re: Processing Time

Short answer: "depends on the implementation" and "depends on the
query".

Long answer:

* ASK should finish as soon as the first result is ready. This
doesn't mean it's always quick; just that it will be between ~0% and
100% of the execution time of the equivalent SELECT query.

* SELECT is the baseline. Its execution time is proportional to the
complexity of the query, the number of results obtained, and other
factors.

* DESCRIBE is entirely implementation-dependent, but if a node has a
particularly large set of relevant statements, it can be very
expensive indeed.

* Bindings obtained from SELECT are used to evaluated DESCRIBE and
CONSTRUCT (in most cases). This means that most DESCRIBE or CONSTRUCT
queries will take longer than the SELECT query, modulo serializing
the selected results. This is *not* true if you apply ordering
conditions to the SELECT query; they're irrelevant for DESCRIBE and
CONSTRUCT, so CONSTRUCT could actually come out quicker.

As you can see, it's not as simple as you think, and the ratios vary
significantly depending on which language features you use.

Why are you trying to find this out?

-R