Re: AW: SPARQL/SQL/D2R/dbview (un)scheduled topic chat 8 Jun minutes/record

Chris Bizer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Dan Brickley, Bastian Quilitz (HP Labs Bristol), Alex Polleres (Universidad
                                                    ^^^^ Axel ;-)

> Rey Juan Carlos) and I meet for lunch at ESWC Tuesday and discussed about
> database to RDF mapping, SPARQL endpoint descriptions and federated SPARQL
> queries.
>
> Dan Brickley has some connections to the MusicBrainz people and we discussed
> mapping their database to an SPARQL-endpoint, which might inspire some nice
> mashups. The problem is that D2R server currently answers all queries
> (including dump database) which opens up a wide gate for denial-of-service
> attacks. We want to fix this in the next version. Anybody good ideas for a
> "query capability restriction language"?
>
> Bastian Quilitz has implemented a version of ARQ which routes queries to
> different data sources. His code supports distributed joins. He is also
> working on a format for SPARQL-endpoint descriptions and promised to publish
> something about his work soon. He knows Richard Cyganiak and they want to
> hack a demo that answers SPARQL queries over several relational database
> which are mapped to SPARQL endpoints using D2R server. Maybe we can also
> reuse some of his work on SPARQL-endpoint descriptions for restricting query
> capabilities.

Dear all,

Just to wrap up my personal interest in this work:
  We are currently working on an EU project which shall eventually rely
on  distributed RDF stores for service communication, where this work
would fit, and I could imagine fruitful cross-fertilization:
  http://www.tripcom.org
Particularly,  I am personally  interested in the connection SPARQL &
Rules, being a member of the RIF WG.

We briefly talked about optimizing distributed query plans and I
promised to send some pointers on this.
  The work which might be relevant/interesting here is:

  José Luis Ambite, Craig A. Knoblock. Flexible and Scalable Query
Planning in Distributed and Heterogeneous Environments. AIPS 1998.

These people also gave a full-day tutorial on this topic at ICAPS 2004:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~skoenig/icaps/icaps04/tutorial3.html

> We further discussed requirements for a SPARQL endpoint description language
> (there seams to be plenty).

This is a very interesting topic, particularly describing e.g. local
completeness of a source on particular information etc., see above
links, which can be exploited for query plan generation. I plan to
investigate whether how the described techniques allow for easy adoption
in large scale web environment.

best,
Axel

--