geospatial sparql

From: Linda van den Brink <l.vandenbrink@geonovum.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:29:22 +0000
To: "public-sparql-12@w3.org" <public-sparql-12@w3.org>
Hi all,

I wanted to point out that in the geospatial community, there is a standardized extension of SPARQL, called GeoSPARQL (a standard by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)).  I'm part of a coordinated effort at OGC to gather change requests for this standard and to bundle this in a document explaining the benefits of representing geospatial data using semantics and graph technologies, and subsequently outlining some shortcomings of the existing GeoSPARQL implementation specification that, if addressed, would unlock its potential to a greater extent.

I do not know if geospatial requirements for SPARQL have at all been considered within the SPARQL 1.2 community group. If this is of interest, I'm happy to provide a bridge between this group and the GeoSemantics group at OGC.

Linda van den Brink
Chair Spatial Data on the Web Interest Group (W3C)
Chair GeoSemantics DWG (OGC)