Re: chairing the solid CG -- any takers?

Ășt 17. 10. 2023 v 5:09 odesĂ­latel elf Pavlik <elf-pavlik@hackers4peace.net>
napsal:

> Hello Solid Community,
>
> On 10/8/23 22:42, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > Could we simply ask who is willing to chair the group at this point?
>

> I stay open to making myself available to share co-chairing
> responsibilities.
>
> I've been following Solid since it was introduced to the Social WG,
>
> during F2F meeting in Paris (2015)[1]. Between 2015 and the re-boot in 2019
>
> I participated very lightly [2]
>
> Since 2019 I have been participating in majority of panels, especially:
>
> Authentication, Authorization, Data Interoperability and Notifications.
>
> I have been co-editing Solid-OIDC (spec & primer), Solid Application
>
> Interoperability (spec & both primers). As well as co-authoring Solid
>
> Notifications Protocol and editing StreamingHTTPChannel2023.
>
> I also maintain SAI implementation in TypeScript [3], a monorepo containing
>
> ES modules, node server, authorization UI and an example app.
>

> As a co-chair I would like to focus on helping with improving workflow
>
> to keep the drafts moving forward. With emphasis on incorporating
>
> feedback from implementers.
>

> I don't plan to leave Solid any time soon, if there isn't sufficient
> interest in me helping
>
> as a co-chair this time, I hope to stay available for future rotations.
>

> Kudos to everyone else who is willing and has possibility to offer their
>
> availability to co-chair. I'm not planning to vote for myself and look
> forward
>
> to the rich pool of candidates, who I will be able to support with my
> votes.

Thanks Elf for keeping youself open

I'd favour simply elevating those that wish to volunteer as co-chairs,
since having more 2 or more chairs is considered a best practice in the
w3c.  We appointed 2 chairs at the start of the CG, and it should always
have been 2+.

If it is the case that 4 or more want to chair the group, you can figure it
out between yourselves, or use the bureaucracy, but that would cause
further delays.  However, too much bureaucracy will continue to see more
casual developers move to projects with a lower barrier to entry.  Much
depends on whether you want full time employees, or grass roots.  It's good
to have different approaches.

Solid in any case wont be ready at version 1.0 until 2026 earliest, since
the WG has been delayed and extended to 2 years, which will take.

It's good that there's enough momentum and a large amount of funding to get
us to 2026 and beyond.  Hopefully the first WG will be done by then, with
lots of things improving in that time.

I do think the CG would benefit from more interim or permanent chairs,
since there have been indications of volunteering, rather than just having
one, which is a situation that should not have happened in the first place.