Re: Solid: An Explainer

čt 23. 11. 2023 v 11:29 odesílatel Nicolas Chauvat <
nicolas.chauvat@logilab.fr> napsal:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> Le Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 10:31:04AM +0100, Melvin Carvalho a écrit :
> > The W3C TAG asked for a Solid Explainer, so I thought I would have a go.
> > Good / bad / thoughts?
>
> Thank you for taking the time to write this one page summary.
>
> > Introduction
>
> When reading this document I ask myself how the targeted
> interoperability between applications will be reached.
>
> When you talk about spreadsheets, people think about Excel or
> LibreOffice, but I would like them to think about the xlsx format and
> the OpenDocument Spreadsheet format instead, since there are many more
> tools than can read/write these formats.
>
> If separation between data and tools is the target, I think we should
> always put the emphasis on the data model which is the real point of
> contact between the pod and the application and the real show stopper:
> if I send you xlsx and your spreadsheet software can't read it, the
> communication is over.
>
> Same goes for our ontology-based data shared on the web, doesn't it ?

Yes, it's a good point.  There's ontologies for the core, then there's
ontologies for client/client apps, such as a spreadsheet, they will evolve
differently sometimes cooperate sometimes compete.  Solid can propose data
models, but that's no guarantee they will gain broad adoption.

Perhaps you could suggest some text for the explainer?

"Central to the Solid framework is its emphasis on robust data models as
the cornerstone for interoperability between applications and Pods. Solid
advocates for the use of standardized, ontology-based data formats (like
RDF and Turtle) to ensure that data stored in Pods is not only universally
accessible but also interpretable by a diverse array of applications. This
approach mirrors the concept of widely accepted formats in traditional
software, such as xlsx or OpenDocument in spreadsheets, where the focus is
on the data itself rather than the tools used to create or edit it. By
standardizing how data is structured and exchanged, Solid aims to overcome
the barriers of proprietary formats, enabling seamless communication and
data sharing. This open data model approach ensures that users can freely
switch between different applications without losing the ability to access
or manipulate their data, fostering a more connected and interoperable web."