Re: [news] EU funds SiMPL open source components including Solid

Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2023-11-08 14:38:21)
> st 8. 11. 2023 v 12:21 odesílatel Michiel de Jong <michiel@pondersource.com>
> napsal:
>
> > Just wanted to share the great news here with you too
> > https://www.soprasteria.be/docs/librariesprovider2/sopra-steria-benelux-documents/infratex-consortium---simpl_v91f1e33b1-9bdd-4736-be2e-c242e75f5a87.pdf?sfvrsn=3ca97fdb_1
> >
> > Basically, with their SiMPL program, the EU is spending 150 million euros
> > on open source software development for data spaces over the coming years.
> > Just to emphasize that this is a lot of money, if you translate that to the
> > average engineer salary in Europe, that's about *3* *millennia worth *of
> > EU-funded working days. :)

Sounds great that there is big funding.

> To what extent will open source contributors to such projects (e.g. Solid)
> be liable for security issues resulting from this funding, under the Cyber
> Resilience Act?
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/05/eus-proposed-cyber-resilience-act-raises-concerns-open-source-and-cybersecurity

How is that question meaningful? None of us has a crystal ball, to the
best of my knowledge, and not even the head of the European Commission
can provide you with any guarantees as to the consequenses of these
political moves that are in motion but not yet enacted and may not pass
the political procedures at all.

As I understand it, what you reference is meaningful only as a statement
- e.g. "beware that EU may potentially turn hostile to open source
  software development due to law currently being drafted"

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones