Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

On 11/1/23 7:25 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> st 1. 11. 2023 v 12:08 odesílatel Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk>
> napsal:
>
>     Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2023-11-01 11:41:36)
>     > st 1. 11. 2023 v 11:24 odesílatel Aron Homberg
>     <info@aron-homberg.de>
>     > napsal:
>     >
>     > > Hi Jonas,
>     > >
>     > > first of all, thank you for your feedback. That was an
>     interesting read
>     > > and it brought me to a few more, deeper thoughts. Please find
>     my comments
>     > > inline:
>     > >
>     > > > Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> hat am 01.11.2023 16:56 WITA
>     > > geschrieben:
>     > > >
>     > > >
>     > > > Quoting Aron Homberg (2023-11-01 06:51:07)
>     > > > > And ["serverless" environments lacking a filesystem
>     altogether] is
>     > > only one concern. What if the future lies within some sort of
>     federated
>     > > cloud storage based that we can't even imagine today? How could
>     > > implementation details like that ever be well-tested?
>     > > > [...]
>     > > > > To keep things simple, can we please simply speak JSON as
>     a MUST in
>     > > Solid Lite? (and maybe RDF and others as a SHOULD, not
>     enforcing it)
>     > > >
>     > > > I like your point that perhaps in future is becomes a major
>     drag.
>     > > >
>     > > > I dislike how you create a potential major drag by mandating
>     JSON.
>     > >
>     > > I just want to clarify that I'm solely coming from the place
>     that in order
>     > > to have a simple solution, the serialization format that is
>     the most common
>     > > in the industry (and likewise the one that has the broadest
>     library
>     > > support), seems to be, for my understanding, the best choice
>     for a "Solid
>     > > Lite".
>     > >
>     > > For newcomers (which was one of the intentions of Solid Lite,
>     to attract
>     > > them), it's already a bit of a learning curve to get into
>     > > linked data in general, JSON-LD, WebID, Solid-OIDC, and all
>     the related
>     > > concepts. This is why I'm simply trying to reflect on reality,
>     rather than
>     > > trying to create a major drag. If in reality, RDF would be the
>     more adopted
>     > > serialization format, I'd have voted for RDF in the first place.
>     > >
>     > > I hope this explains a bit better, where I'm coming from.
>     > >
> [...]

How about this breakdown, to clarify the critical role of HTML:

1. Identity --  using resolvable identifiers (e.g., HTTP(S) schemes)
2. Identification  -- a profile document readable by existing Web user
agents (i.e., HTML)
3. Authentication -- verifying claims in profile doc
4. Authorization -- acls expressed using entity relationships and tested
against an authenticated identity
5. Storage -- to wherever via HTTP(S)

--

Regards,