Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

On 10/31/23 11:21 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023, 03:03 Kurt Cagle, <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Please do not strip the RDF from solid or solid lite. It is
>     honestly the only real good feature that Solid has.
>

> Arguable, RDF is quite nuanced and constrained, compared to something
> broader stroke like N3, the ontologies are all over the place,
> misused, incomplete (even base ones like rdfs and owl), others miss
> the mark (RIF), mismodelled (verifiable claims, many others), archaic
> (most), or just aren't GETable (like the most widely deployed -
> schema.org <http://schema.org>).
>
> It evolved with baggage and constraints, has fundamental issues
> (hr-14, no literal subjects, bnode mess, skolemization, no graph
> literals). Most uses require conneg, the list goes on. Even json-ld is
> quite the behemoth compared to how it could have been.
>
> I know there's a lot vested in it, but it's far from what it could be.

Long story short.

JSON is fine, and as just another notation and serialization combo, it
isn't incompatible with RDF's abstract nature.

{ "attribute":  "value"}  simply expresses the fact that something
exists that has an attribute and an associated value. It's all good and
expressible using various RDF notations :)

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO