Re: Generic functionality for email confirmation

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 09:34, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 15:59, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> In the current node-solid-server implementation, we have some
>> functionality
>> to verify certain interactions with an email verification, such as the
>> deletion of the whole Pod.
>>
>> I think we should make this more generic, possibly through the Web Access
>> Control spec, so that users can specify that certain interactions need
>> that
>> kind of verification.
>>
>> That way `DELETE /` (i.e. delete the whole POD) could be governed by e.g.
>> an explicit rule in the ACL file to ensure verification.
>>
>> The code for email verification will need to be in the server anyway, so
>> think it makes sense for users to be able to reuse this functionality
>> where
>> they please. One can also envision other verification mechanisms than
>> email.
>>

> Do we not do it this way already?  Or better question, how do we do it now?
>
> I've seen email addresses in acls before if I remember correctly.
>
> Wouldnt you just say that the email URI has a certain operation (in this
> case write/control?) on the resource.
>
> Then the server would authenticate a shared secret with an email address
> -- not terribly secure, but I think that can be done with a one time
> token?
>
> Is this last part the bit that would benefit from standardization?

Addendum tho this.

So many systems I use these days authenticate via a PIN code in mobile.
Say 4/6/8 digits.

Could the same idea be extended to mobile and tel: logins?

Basically there wouldnt need to be anything new in the spec from what I
see, but the server would learn to authenticate more URIs.