Re: Generic functionality for email confirmation

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 15:59, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> In the current node-solid-server implementation, we have some
> functionality
> to verify certain interactions with an email verification, such as the
> deletion of the whole Pod.
>
> I think we should make this more generic, possibly through the Web Access
> Control spec, so that users can specify that certain interactions need
> that
> kind of verification.
>
> That way `DELETE /` (i.e. delete the whole POD) could be governed by e.g.
> an explicit rule in the ACL file to ensure verification.
>
> The code for email verification will need to be in the server anyway, so I
> think it makes sense for users to be able to reuse this functionality
> where
> they please. One can also envision other verification mechanisms than
> email.

Do we not do it this way already?  Or better question, how do we do it now?

I've seen email addresses in acls before if I remember correctly.

Wouldnt you just say that the email URI has a certain operation (in this
case write/control?) on the resource.

Then the server would authenticate a shared secret with an email address --
not terribly secure, but I think that can be done with a one time token?

Is this last part the bit that would benefit from standardization?