Re: W3C Solid Community Call

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 18:43, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 18:23, Mitzi László <mitzil@inrupt.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi W3C Solid Community Group,
>>
>> You can find the final agenda [1] and dial in details [2] for the call
>> tomorrow at 1400 CET.
>>

> "proposal to move specs to github/w3c-solid"
>
> This proposal is problematic, in a general sense.
>
> When I spoke to Tim about starting this group, we did it because we didnt
> have a place (ie mailing list) for threaded conversations, of a technical
> nature.
>
> There is an expanse of the remit here, which im not opposed to, ie to help
> incubate all the solid specs.  I think it's actually a good idea, it is
> however, a different idea from what I put down when I started the group.
>
> But in practice, a mandate needs to come explicitly from Tim, even better
> if he were to join the group (so that he can read mailing list discussion),
> and cannot be via proxy.
>
> Tim needs to say what he wants to be put under the aegis of the CG, at
> least initially.
>
> Overall what we require from the specs is a period of stability.  If this
> group can help to ensure that, I think that's going to be a plus for solid.

My constructive suggest is as follows :

From my experience, It normally takes a W3C, or any other group actually, 6
months to find its feet.  You will get initial interest, and then depending
on the cadence of the calls, people will start to drop off and you will be
left with a few people that attend calls regularly

In parallel to this groups tend to find a governance system which is
basically unanimous common sense decisions are taken most of the time.

What I would suggest is that this group for 6 months, or even better until
end of the year, incubate proposals, but with a lock on not removing
anything that may be in use.

By this time we may have a relatively stable server and a bunch of apps.  I
think the bulk of the work in the group will be oriented towards new
proposals, new shapes, design patterns and things like naming consensus.
The better proposals then get promoted further.